What are you feeding your family this week?
We have a busy week ahead of us, so it was important to me that I take the time to figure out what our food was going to be for the week. This post is how I hashed all of that out. Come along for the ride.
I was realizing tonight that I need to dig through the pantry and freezer and figure out what food we actually have and think about ways to use it up.
We tend to shove stuff in the freezer and forget about it. Note to self: label bags before you put them in the freezer.
Does anyone know what kind of pen works on a bag that is going in the freezer?
I stumbled onto this post recently about a pantry challenge and decided that it was just what we needed, mostly to clean out the freezer, fridge, and pantry. I went to the blog tonight to read the post while I was writing this post and discovered there is only one day left in the pantry challenge (here is the Pantry Challenge Log). It was still inspiring to me.
There is more stuff in the freezers, pantry, and fridge but these are the things that stood out to me (other stuff could very well have been hiding).
Freezer here I come:
- box of sausages
- bag of cooked sausages
- 3 bags of shaved roast
- pork chops
- 2 bags of falafels (Do they go with tzatziki sauce?)
- 1 bag of corn
- 1 bag of peas
- bag of chicken patties (that no one likes, ugh)
- 2 boxes of tart shells
- several litres of cream
- random bags of weird food
Pantry organization is on its way. The shelves are looking messy and the food needs to be arranged in some kind of logical manners which shouldn’t take too long. Okay, the organizing will wait until tomorrow, I need to get this post finished.
Pantry here I come:
- several bottles of salad dressing (Ranch, 1000 Islands, Caesar)
- 4 boxes of stuffing
- several bags of rice
- giant cans (4L each) or grapefruit, olives, tomatoes, carrots, etc.
- random bags and bottles of strange things
- a large turnip
- a large cabbage
- onions (I know they don’t belong in there, but I didn’t put them in there)
- sour cream
- tzatziki sauce (Oh, let’s buy or make some pitas.)
- and the usual or unusual condiments (HP Sauce, Ketchup, Mayo, Mustard, etc)
Soups For Lunch
We have figured out breakfast, but that is another post (coming soon). I would love to incorporate more soups into our lunch menu. My friend Tonya wrote an awesome series about 10 Days Of Warm Winter Soups. They look so yummy. I even started a Soup Pinboard on Pinterest.
Speaking of Pinterest (you are on Pinterest, right?)
You can check out some of my food related boards on Pinterest:
Menu Plan Monday
Now on to the actual planning… it is Menu Plan Monday after all. In random order, here are some of the meals we will be eating this week.
- Breakfast Skillet: Roast Beef, Onions, Potatoes
- Pita Bread with Tzatziki Sauce
- Pork Chops with Rice and Corn
- Roast Beef, Onions, Rice, And Peas
- Falafel with Tzatziki Sauce – Still not sure if that is a good idea or not?
- Roast Beef, Onions, Turnip, and Cabbage
Don’t forget to check out Tonya’s Soup Recipes too.